2013年7月20日星期六

so long and thanks for all fashion


  I still remember exactly where I was when I was created for Jezebel. It was on 15 January 2008 and unfortunately I was living in San Francisco, in the absence of a relationship in a failing economy, working a job that I was a failure. Later that night, I frantically wrote an e-mail tips@jezebel.com - and you are always with us, the advice is a key for all mailboxes "editors - offer my services as a kind of, I do not know, undercover appropriate model. I was so sure of myself, so that in so presumptuous caution, my subject line ended with a question mark.

I do not have a 'po' I did not know anyone. I was just a reader of the site since its launch a regular reader, and I knew I liked Dodai and Moe and Anna, and her image of sophisticated brand of sex joke. The next morning at 6 clock, I flew to New York for the first time to the work of the Fashion Week. I feared more than any e-mail my buddy talked me money - our problem was simple, we do not - before I finally into bed. I stayed up all night packing and avoid the argument, and just before I leave for the airport, I hit send. Five hours later, when my plane touched down, humming my little Nokia. It was a voice message asking to meet Moe. I had no idea, would like to change my life.

I started to write this month. After a column for a little over a year, I am a regular employee was - two shifts per day, give or take. And six months later, I was able to leave my job and earn quite a living as a freelance writer. Somehow I now contribute to this site for five and a half years.

Daily Blogging requires an obsessive attention to detail neurotic level, but the information that you need to absorb and package is mainly decoupled from a broader context. I have always loved this job because it was very difficult - it requires attention and energy and bloggers are the last people to have the time during the day to read blogs - but also because once the day was over and I closed my laptop, I could not quite aside and let my job be carried away by the next wave of news. Once I hit my mind was my new, of all the thousands of posts I've written since 2008, I can count them on the fingers of one hand, which kept me awake at night.

All human communication is somewhere on a continuum between the ephemeral and the permanent, between editable and stasis. The newspapers are ephemeral, but static. Thus Snapchats. (This is probably my least favorite combination of features, which is why I do not do much tweet.) A book is permanent and static, which is better, but more difficult. Wikipedia is permanent but change. Blogs are ephemeral (person, in fact person, bed old posts) and modified (each side is adjustable, tweakable, perfectible - if you believe in perfection as a value). For reasons that are probably unique, my personality, as a writer, I found this heady combination. The ephemeral of performance anxiety that paralyzes me regularly removed in other areas. And changeable nature means that almost every mistake in my prose could be polished out.

I was proud to work, and I tried to approach them with a sense of responsibility to the readers and the truth. Because there is too much time to do things when you have time to write a permanent Google, because if you are there in your blog no guardian of the institutional memory but himself, no press editor context other than that you can easily afford, has my memory rather full of data points that the actual non-entertainment value I never had enough time to evaluate. Paul Janka. Lori Gottlieb. Alexey Vayner. 2009 loss from American Apparel. A detailed chronology of events that led to John Galliano sacking in 2011. Kira Plastinina. Zahia Dehar. Any blunt (and every Insightful) thing Karl Lagerfeld said. Terry Richardson. Billion below details and interviews that informed the iceberg published several stories below the water line off-the-record. Minutae media and society. In this job, you accept and absorb and absorb, and you can never dry out completely. I think I'll take a little time to have to optimize everything, and try to see what it means.

I like working with this offer. Besides Dodai Stewart, I think I am now the oldest Jezebel blogger. I got the busy hands of some very talented writers in a variety of publications over the years, but Anna Holmes and Moe Tkacik a risk on me - it all those years ago - a detailed and very green 21 years, I doubt I would be in able, now the vocal writing and magazine cover stories villages have pieces, and I'm not sure if I have made a request to the AMF nonfiction writing that I will fall from the University of Iowa. I have this website and all of its employees has become a great debt of gratitude, the online conversation about women in a way that the fashion (and profitable) expand to imitate. For insisted that it is possible, political and Angelina Jolie and sexism and Honey Boo Boo and the Pope and all the dull (and insightful) things are not contradictory Karl Lagerfeld coverage and maintaining interest in the simultaneous things in themselves. For staking out bold assertion that a woman is not in a pink box of make-up tips and style - or want to read or write these things to love but it is not a sin either. Working at Jezebel has taught me that the only sin is his audience condescending.

Among the thousands of messages I posted here over the years, there are many that I would rather never see again - hastily thrown-together Fishwrap. But there are some that I feel a certain pride. I was glad that Jessica Coen, still undaunted me, encouraged to write this. I am glad I broke the story of the non-payment of a Marc Jacobs underage model "looks" during Fashion Week, in apparent violation of labor laws. (The following year, the company paid his models looks calm again, and for the first time began to pay his models. The model in question since been hired for several campaigns Marc Jacobs.), I am proud to have written fashion, food, and body image. And Karen Mulder, and sociable. I am proud to have framed debates about sexual harassment and working minors. I am very proud to have been in a strange way of journalists whose public profile plagiarized far above me. Perhaps more than anything, I'm proud of the work that I (and many interns Jezebel) to quantify and monitor I made the issue of diversity in fashion. All of these things remind me, in my darkest moments during my tenure here, I have at least tried to do more good than harm. For me, the way has never discussed or covered seams celebrity wore which brand: it was the material culture of work and who leads it, and does the money, and - most importantly - it was about women. Fashion is of course a connection with the review of these things. But the last half dozen years, it was me.


没有评论:

发表评论